Saturday, February 4, 2012

Photography vs. Videography

This may seem really weird, but every now and then I think about the day (Lord willing) that I'll be getting married.  I try and figure out if I would prefer to hire a really good photographer or a really good videographer for my wedding.  (I know I won't have the $ for both!)  Now, granted, I'm just 16 and don't think I'll be married for quite a few years but I'm just the type of person that likes to plan and think ahead...so bear with me, this post is going somewhere! 

Anywho, that thought made me wonder which was more important:  photography or videography?  If I only had $4,000 for my wedding would I spend it on a good photographer?  Or vice-versa?  For awhile I thought videography was more "superior" because it recorded everything in a moving time frame.  I look back at the home videos Daddy recorded of my siblings and I and I love watching them!

One day I was kind of depressed that I liked photography, because I was really thinking that videography was way better.   Then I started thinking to myself "There has to be one way photography is superior to videography.  I know there has to be one way."

Then it hit me.

It's the moments.





With photography you can capture, in a split second, a glance of love between an engaged couple...










...or the tenderness of a Mother with her little one...



...or the specialness of a wedding day...














....the tininess of a newborn...






















...the gift of pregnancy...

















...the love between siblings...













...the fleeting, gorgeous moments of creation...







.







..the bond between two people in love...

















...the first smiles of a baby...









...and so much more.  
Now, please don't think that I'm bashing videography.  I love watching videos because they capture a moving story of your life as it once was.  There is no replacing videography!  It is so special and photography can't equal it in this regard.

But photography can capture those little moments...a little glance or a slight smile...and freeze that moment forever, in a way that (in my opinion) videos cannot.  

1 comment:

  1. Very well put. Another plus with Photography is you can print out your pictures and look at them over and over again, regardless if your computer crashes. You can't print out videos. Don't worry. the years will pass faster than you think.
    Cheers,

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete

"Let your speech [be] always with grace, seasoned with salt," (Colossians 4:6)